Master Sergeant LaRon D. Russell is the Superintendent, 43d Medical Squadron, 43d Air Mobility Operations Group, Pope Army Airfield, NC. He serves as the Air Force’s sole enlisted leader embedded in a Limited Scope Military Treatment Facility. Sergeant Russell leads 41 medics/13 AFSCs across 4 MAJCOMS impacting 2.6K active-duty. He manages a $1.5 million budget and organizes, trains, and equips four flights supporting the 43d Air Mobility Operations Group and AF tenant units.
Master Sergeant Russell entered the Air Force in June 1999. After completing Basic Military Training he was sent to Sheppard AFB, Texas, where he successfully completed the Health Services Management Course. Throughout his career, he has filled a myriad of roles including Health Services Manager, Medical Standards Management Element Chief, Public Health Flight Chief, and Inspector General Superintendent.
1999 Health Services Management Apprentice Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2002 Public Health Apprentice Course, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas
2004 Airman Leadership School, Andrews AFB, MD
2010 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Lackland AFB, TX
2012 Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservation Certification
2015 Associates in Public Health Technology degree, Community College of the Air Force
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Management Enhancement, by correspondence
2017 Bachelor of Applied Science degree in emergency management, Waldorf University
1. June 1999 - August 1999, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, TX.
2. August 1999 - October 1999, Student, Health Services Management Apprentice Technical School Sheppard AFB, TX.
3. October 1999 – Sep 2002, Health Services Management Journeyman, 35th Medical Operations Squadron, Misawa Air Base, Japan. (July 2001 - September 2001, Third-Country National Duty, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey).
4. September 2002 - December 2002, Student, Public Health Apprentice Technical School, United States Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine, Brooks Air Force Base, TX.
5. September 2002 - October 2006, Public Health Journeyman/Craftsman, 89th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, Andrews Air Force Base, MD. (December 2004 - May 2005, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge Public Health, Camp Sather Air Base, Iraq).
6. October 2006 – October 2007, Public Health Craftsman, 8th Medical Operations Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea.
7. October 2007 - August 2012, Public Health Flight Chief, 95th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, Edwards Air Force Base, CA.
8. August 2012 - September 2013, Medical Standards Management Element Chief, 51st Aerospace Medicine Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea.
9. September 2013 - September 2016, Public Health Flight Chief, 35th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, Misawa Air Base, Japan.
10. September 2016 - present, Public Health Element Chief, 43d Medical Squadron, Pope Army Airfield, NC.
11. April 2018 – December 2019, Inspector General Superintendent, 43d Air Mobility Operations Group, Pope Army Airfield, NC.
12. January 2020 – Present, Superintendent, 43d Medical Squadron, Pope Army Airfield, NC.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
AF Good Conduct Medal with five oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with Gold Star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
2014 35th Aerospace Medicine Squadron Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2015 35th Aerospace Medicine Squadron Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2015 35th Medical Group Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
2017 43d Medical Squadron Noncommissioned Officer of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Master Sergeant August 1, 2017
(Current as of January 2020)